School of Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences
Dr. Rhoda Ballinger
Phone: 02920 876671
Email: [email protected]
Background of Organisation
Cardiff University is the largest university in Wales and is recognised in independent Government assessments as one of the most successful one of Britain’s and major civic universities in Britain.
Established by Royal Charter in 1883, the University today combines impressive modern facilities and a dynamic approach to teaching and research with its proud heritage of service and achievement. It is a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
In all areas of activity the University will continue to build on what has already been achieved, in order to establish itself further as an innovative, research-based university, recognised for the high quality of its research, teaching and course provision and for the environment which supports its students and staff.
The Strategic Plan for the University is based upon:
- Its vision: To be a World-Class University
- Its mission: To pursue research of international excellence and research-led learning and teaching of the highest quality
and four aims covering Research, Learning and Teaching, the University and the Region and the Supporting Environment
More specifically Cardiff University has set the following aims:
- To pursue research of international excellence recognised for its quality and impact on both academic and user communities.
- To pursue research-led learning and teaching of the highest quality.
- To make a significant contribution to the economic, educational and cultural life of Wales and of Cardiff, and thereby promote the strengths of the Region in the UK and the world.
- To create an environment in which staff and students can achieve their full potential.
Relevant Policies, Projects & Activities
Severn Estuary Partnerhip is a project hosted by the School of Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences at Cardiff University. In particular the Partnership is closely linked with the Marine and Coastal Environment (MACE) Research Group. As a research led group MACE within recent years has focused on the area of policy formulation at the local and regional level within Wales and at the international level. The Group is represented by a community of active researchers and research students whose work often contributes to the sustainable management of the Severn Estuary as well as the development of the Severn Estuary Partnership's role and activities.
Cardiff University encourages the co-operation between its various departments and with other academic institutions, which delivers rounded quality research in the field of coastal, estuarine and marine management