National and Regional Government BodiesDepartment of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, DEFRA
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Position: Regional Engineer
Phone: 01823 330099 / 337922
Email: [email protected]
Background of Organisation
The Ministry has wide ranging and diverse responsibilities as well as some regulatory controls that cross the boundaries of topics including; agriculture, coastal protection and flood defence, tourism, recreation and access and fisheries.
Organisational Objectives· To secure a more economically rational Common Agricultural Policy, which gives a better deal to consumers and tax payers and pays due regard to the needs of the environment;
· To assist the development of efficient markets in which internationally competitive food, fish and agricultural industries can thrive;
· To enhance economic opportunity and social development in rural and coastal communities in a manner consistent with public enjoyment of the amenities they offer;
· To safeguard the continuing availability to the consumer of adequate supplies of wholesome, varied and reasonably priced food and drink.
· To reduce the risks to people and the developed and natural environment from flooding and coastal erosion.
· To sustain and enhance the rural and marine environment and public enjoyment of the amenities they provide.
· To conserve fish stocks for future generations and secure a sustainable future for the sea fishing industry.
Relevant Policies, Projects & Activities
DEFRA and the devolved administrations have jointly commissioned a stocktake of institutions and laws affecting their coastal zones with an aim to adopt national strategies to promote integrated management. For more information follow the link to: ICZM Stocktake
Defra is preparing ans consulting on a draft marine Bill for the marine environment, which will provide for a system of marine spatial planning. It is expected that the bill will be passed in the next parlimentary session. For more see DEFRA's pages on the marine policy.